Quote of the Week
"I learned that the only way you are going to get anywhere in life is to work hard at it. Whether you're a musician, a writer, an athlete or a businessman, there is no getting around it. If you do, you'll win--if you don't, you won't."
-Bruce Jenner, Olympic Gold Medalist, Decathlon
Sunday, October 25, 2009
"Duval County would like for ALL elementary students to have access to this wonderful resource at home. With the generic account, students are able to go on the resource and locate leveled books appropriate for their grade level. This login is ONLY for DCPS students."
Generic District Username: dcpsstudent
Generic password: student
Houghton Mifflin with Duval County Schools has provided everything you could want in online books accessable from the comforts of home.
1) Type the "Link" address into your browser and "Enter"
2) You will reach the HM (Houghton Mifflin) eServices home page. Click on "Reading" or "Online Leveled Book." They lead to the same page.
3) Now you will see 2 tabs: "My Books" and "Find Books." (I have not assigned books to students.) Click on "Find Books."
4) You will have 2 more choices: "Search" and "Browse." In Search you can type in the title that I have recommended in the left column of the blog. Because we are beginning a unit on electricity in Science, this week's book titles are Lights On! and Thomas Edison and the Light Bulb. In Browse you will have 8 categories to choose from.
5) Find the book you want to read or have read to you and click on that book.
6) With the book open, you can enlarge the text, pause, have the entire text read to you without stopping, rewind, jump to particular "tracks" on each page, print, go to the previous page, have individual paragraphs read to you...the opportunities are endless!
Please take advantage of this marvelous resource.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Each week I will post the student edition links to the pages we are reading in our Science and Reading books on the left sidebar of this blog. There will be 2 online Reading links; one link will take you to the vocabulary story page and the second link will take you to the actual story. (See Reading: Online Story and Science: Online Chapter) Sometimes the links will not change because we will be reading the same chapter in Science or the same story in our readers for more than one week. Also, I will post the links on the class website. Your students will not have to lug these heavy books home. It will save "wear and tear" on their backs, backpacks and the books themselves. Enjoy the technology benefits of Duval County Schools!
Saturday, August 22, 2009
4th grade was my favorite year at Henry Hough Elementary School in St. Louis, Missouri. There wasn't anything in particular, not a single event, that I remember about 4th grade except my teacher, Mrs. Shoemaker. She pushed me toward excellence every day that I was in her class. I wanted each assignment to be my best. Mrs. Shoemaker made that year memorable for me.
I am very excited about the 2009-2010 school year. I will push for excellence in every assignment so that "doing your very best" feels like the only way to complete work. I will work hard to be the best 4th grade teacher that I can be. I want my students to remember 4th grade as their best year at NBE.
Thank you for all you do at home to encourage excellence in every aspect of your student's life.
Mrs. Suzanne Oaks
Please share your thoughts with me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org